On Thursday, November 16, 1854, a little group of brethren met in a store owned by Isham Royal on what is now Wall Street in Clinton and took preliminary steps to organize a Baptist Church. Isaac Boykin was named chairman and Mr. Royal, secretary of this meeting. On Sunday, January 7, 1855, another meeting was held in the Courthouse (now “The Courthouse Inn) and the organization of the Clinton Missionary Baptist Church was completed with sixteen charter members. Some early meetings were also held at the Presbyterian church.
The congregation included African American members who were subject to the same rules and discipline as the Caucasian members. The African American members organized their own congregation in 1868, now known as First Baptist Church, located at 900 College Street. The two congregations continue to share a warm and friendly relationship, worshipping and serving together for the better of our community.
Two missions now respectfully known as the Grove Park and Immanuel Baptist Churches were established by First Baptist during the 1950’s. The congregation reached out again in the 1980’s by birthing Mision Bautista Maranatha, our Hispanic mission.
Our history shows us clearly that the church is the people of God, called forth to do the work of God in the world. Buildings are essential to the organization and function of the church. A brief look at the history of our facilities is inspiring.
1854 Services begin and are held in either the Clinton courthouse or at Graves Memorial Presbyterian Church.
1856 Issac Boykin donates land at the current location.
1857 The original building (no longer in existence) was completed
1905 Original building replaced with what we now know as our Chapel. Several additions to this building were made through the 1930’s – 1950’s.
1950s Sponsored missions at Grove Park and Immanuel
1966 Current Sanctuary along with adjoining education and fellowship space was built.
1972 Renovation of the Chapel
1980s Established Mission Bautista Maranatha
1995 Sponsored construction of new building for Maranatha on McKoy Street
2008 Major renovation of the main sanctuary was completed
2012 Parking lot renovation